Featured Post

Pinned Post, A Policy Note:

I have made a decision to keep this blog virus free from this point forward, at least until the smoke clears. This is not a judgement about ...

Thursday, January 4, 2024

I'm Not Dead

Really, I am not dead.

I just can't think of anything to say about photography. Drawing has kind of eaten my brain lately, but I am utterly unqualified to talk about Drawing, really. Maybe some day. I draw a lot. Every day. I am substantially less bad at drawing than I was a year ago, but I'm not good as such, and I certainly have no expertise or theory.

It's always tempting to just pivot to a this-is-my-life blog, but for whatever reason I am loathe to do that. Lots of people do, and that's fine, but I just don't feel it for this blog here and now.

To an extent this is a knock on effect of the workshop/retreat I did with Jonathan Blaustein a year or so ago. I came away from that with a serious plan to do serious work, a sort of "stop screwing around and get down to business" situation, and it turns out that I'm not quite ready to do that. Or I don't have the time. Or the energy. Or something. Maybe I simply haven't got the stuff for anything except screwing around.

Anyway, it was time to fish, or cut bait, and apparently I am doing whichever of those doesn't include doing a lot of photography or writing about photography.

Consider me on indefinite hiatus, I guess. Sometimes saying "I am on hiatus" stirs the pot, so it's 50:50 I'll be back in short order with 20,000 words, each more unhinged than the last, but I make no promises.

I do plan to actually get back to doing photography at some point, to doing that serious project, but it's just a hypothetical for now. Don't take me seriously until I actually deliver some fucking pictures.

4 comments:

  1. Not dead, eh? Hmm, proof? I think a photograph holding up today's newspaper might be in order, "Andrew".

    Great to hear about the drawing. Put the camera(s) into a locked cupboard, and just use your phone (no, not the landline) as an instant sketchbook, assuming you've got one with a halfway decent camera. You'll soon be feeling better!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy you're not dead. Sad you'll be posting less. I miss your foto humour, insight, opinion and honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goddam polymaths always got something to prove.

    You write well, and you have original ideas. If you were to collate your blog posts into a book, I'd buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's good news. I'm not dead yet, either, and I do miss your posts. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete