Featured Post

Pinned Post, A Policy Note:

I have made a decision to keep this blog virus free from this point forward, at least until the smoke clears. This is not a judgement about ...

Friday, October 18, 2019

The Gallery System

I read this article about how galleries actually find new talent to represent, over in Artsy's online magazine (which is surprisingly good).

The takeaway here, is this, which is possibly the smartest (or maybe just the most glib) thing I've ever said: An Art Gallery is a curatorial vision with a lease. If they compromise their curatorial vision, or don't have one, it's just a lease. You probably don't want anything to do with them.

Respect that fact. Don't just roll in with a portfolio, get engaged. Understand the vision, be a part of it. Show up to openings and be socially engaged. Say semi-intelligent things.

I don't do this. I hate people, and I don't want representation.

But I'm going to start, because even the artists in this remote region deserve some support, some recognition, some love. I'm gonna try to give 'em a little.

In other news I seem to have no fewer than three long-form projects in progress, one which has nothing to do with photography, one about photography, and one of photography. So, I am a little less prolific here, I guess? I'm not dead, nor going away, though, as far as I can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment