Featured Post

Pinned Post, A Policy Note:

I have made a decision to keep this blog virus free from this point forward, at least until the smoke clears. This is not a judgement about ...

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Henri-Carteir Bresson is NOT a Street Photographer!

I know, I know, everyone thinks Henri-Cartier was the greatest street tog. But he was not even a street photographer!

Is there any evidence, ever, that he argued with anyone about what real street is? No. I looked. There isn't any. He never argued with anyone about what true street was. I don't think he even called his photos street! He didn't even know the term "decisive moment!" and used some weird nonsense word instead: ala sauvette whatever that means. Is it like horse douvre?

In fact he doesn't even seem to be in any forums or on social media. I didn't check every forum of course but I hit all the big ones, and he's not there. How can you argue about street unless you're in a forum?

Obviously if he's not in any forums or on social, he also can't have called anyone out for not shooting real street.

The other thing I checked for was collectives. Every real street tog belongs to at least one street collective, and he doesn't belong to any.

The only group he seems to belong to is some sort of gun club.

All he ever seems to so is to take pictures.

Time for us to stop worshipping Mr. Bresson! He isn't all that!




(Doesn't anyone like my "gun club" joke?)

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, but I like that one with the bike. Neat composition. Oh, and that one with the guy jumping a puddle. Fast autofocus really helps in those situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take issue. There were streets in several of his photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gun club? I thought it was a 70s TV Detective Show fan club?



    (how DARE you mention that "a la sauvette" does in fact not translate to The Decisive Moment)

    ReplyDelete